Monday, April 07, 2014

over consumption.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to go to Costco with my parents (I don't have my own card).
I've only been a couple of times, as I never need to buy in large quantities.

I went there strictly to look at the bikes that are currently for sale, because I need a new one.
I was a bit disgusted this time around.



People go from aisle to aisle, carts full to the brim, only adding to the pile as they go.
Yes, everything is cheap, and comes it bulk. But to me, I simply saw consumption. And over consumption. To me it felt like Costco was promoting it.
Buy this! It comes in a two gallon package for the low price of $20.00! Two for one!

From the moment I walked into the store I was turned off. First, you need a membership card. Why do you need to buy in to a store to simply buy the items off their shelves? I do not agree with that concept. I mean, it's not as if the groceries are of better quality, local or home grown.

Second, the store is like a warehouse. It doesn't feel like your local grocery store where everything is neat on the shelves, within reach.

I seriously couldn't believe how busy it was! People lined up down the aisles to pay for their many items. My mom said to me: "It's ridiculous how much people spend here", and I completely agree.

I'm currently subscribed to a magazine called Kinfolk, and I think this has put me in a different mindset.
The quarterly magazine promotes simple living. Buying local, good quality food and clothing. Spending time together in a welcome setting, instead of going out to spend money and be anti-social.
There are recipes using seasonal ingredients, ideas on making a successful move, making a house a home.
It embodies a wholesome balanced like, which I strive towards.

Department stores have never been my thing. Walking down aisle upon aisle, searching each rack looking for one special item. Or walking into the grocery store only to find the greens withered and lilting.
I prefer small boutiques, where the clothes are crafted with care. Markets where the greens are cared for by local hands. I may not always follow these words, by I am trying!

If cheap is what you are going for, then maybe thrift stores are for you! Some great quality gently used clothes can be found, at a fraction of the cost! And instead of contributing to the mass of waste built up by clothing, it can be reused again!

Next time around, think before you shop :)

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment